SIDEBAR: Dos and Don'ts of Honest Transparency
by Herb Cooper with Scott Harrup
- Do admit you have struggles just as your congregation does.
- Don’t be specific about last week’s sins.
- Do emphasize the joys of your marriage.
- Don’t give your spouse any reason to doubt your confidentiality.
- Do mention names when there is an opportunity to offer thanks or give a positive example.
- Don’t open yourself to libel charges by naming names in negative examples.
- Do be honest when an innocent mistake calls for a new direction.
- Don’t wring your hands or blame others.
- Do expect your people to listen to you; the expectation will energize your preaching.
- Don’t become disillusioned by those who don’t.