SIDEBAR: Tri-Alogue Coaching
The Third Person in the Coaching Conversation
by Jane Creswell
While a coach is also one who comes alongside, the Holy Spirit is the third person in a coaching conversation. He provides guidance to the coach and the person you’re coaching. I wrote this prayer to remind myself of the Holy Spirit’s role in coaching.
A Coach’s Prayer
Lord, thank You for calling me to be a coach.
- Let Your unconditional love flow through me.
- Spotlight my sins that encumber.
- Mold me into a servant leader.
Before each coaching conversation, I pray:
- For boldness to be Your ambassador.
- For the ones I am coaching to listen to You.
- For your direction, insights, and inspiration to take action.
During each coaching conversation, I pray:
- For guidance from You on what to say and how to say it.
- For wisdom to know when to turn the conversation into a time of prayer.
- For peace when it is time to be silent and let You do the speaking.
And beyond each coaching conversation, I pray:
- For You to calm the fears of the unknown.
- For You to fill in the gaps of what was not said and what was really needed beneath the surface.
- For boldness to take actions that go beyond what I know how to do and outcomes I know I can control
- For followers of You, Lord, and not followers of the coach.
- For Christian coaches and their global impact.
- For coaches everywhere who are making the ground fertile for the gospel.
May You be glorified in all I say and do.
In Jesus’ name, Amen