SIDEBAR: The Language of Coaching
Language that limits successful conversations pulls the attention toward “me”
- Self-referencing (me, my, I, etc)
- Do it my way (or any derivatives of that.)
- Being focused only on tactical or strategic
- Leading the person being coached toward the direction you think is best
- Assumptions of any kind
Language that assists in coaching conversations keeps the focus on the other person:
- What are you thinking about?
- What’s most important?
- What else?
- How else?
- Who else?
- What will you do first?
- By when?
- How will you know?