SIDEBAR: 50 Great Coaching Questions
by Dary Northrop
One of the key skills to being an effective coach is to learn how to ask the right questions. As a life coach with over 8 years experience, I have built a list of coaching questions I have used effectively. Here are some of my favorites.
I was trained in the GROW (Goal, Reality, Options and Way Forward) Model, so I list these questions under the relevant section.
- What must you accomplish in the next 12 months?
- What would you like to focus on today?
- What is important to you at the moment?
- What are you working on at the moment?
- What challenges are you struggling with at the moment?
- How can you word that goal more specifically?
- How can you measure that goal?
- How can you break down that goal into bite-size pieces?
- How can you word this goal using positive language?
- What do you want to be doing in 5 years?
- What is your ideal future?
- Where is your life out of balance?
- What is the legacy you want to leave?
- What new skill do you want to learn or develop?
- What is working well for you at the moment?
- What is not working well at the moment?
- What have you done so far to improve things?
- How does this goal impact your spouse/partner?
- What excuse have you always used for not achieving your goals?
- What aspects of your life will be impacted by reaching the above goal?
- What is the biggest obstacle you are facing?
- What are you afraid of?
- What are you passionate about?
- What are you willing to endure to see your goal become a reality?
- Is that a need or a want?
- Where are you sabotaging yourself?
- What do you think you should do first?
- What would be the most helpful thing you could do now?
- If money was not a restriction, what would you do?
- If time was not a restriction, what would you do?
- What would you do if you were not answerable to anyone?
- What would (enter name of relevant expert) do in this situation?
- What do you sense God is telling you to do?
- If you were guaranteed to succeed, what would you do?
- What is the best use of your time at the moment?
- If you could only do one thing this week, what would it be?
- What can you do better than anyone else in your organization?
- What books should you be reading to help you achieve your goals?
- If you went to your boss with this problem, what would he/she suggest?
- If you saw someone else in your situation, what would you suggest he/she do?
- If you had 50 percent more confidence, what would you be doing that would be different?
- If you were not holding anything back, what would you be doing?
- What are you going to do in the next 24 hours?
- How committed are you in reaching this goal?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how motivated are you to achieving this goal?
- What will it take to turn that 6 into a 9?
- Who do you need to speak to about this goal?
- How are you going to celebrate reaching your goal?
- Whatever your first step is, can you think of anything that might stop you from doing it?
- Is there anything else that you need to consider before starting?
Do you have any other coaching questions that you would like to add?
DARREN POKE, Melbourne, Australia
Taken from http://betterlifecoaching.wordpress.com/2010/08/04/50-great-coaching-questions/. Used with permission.