SIDEBAR: Starting a Discussion on Sexuality in Your Church Staff
Starting a Discussion on Sexuality in Your Church Staff
Discussing sexuality may be a bit uncomfortable for some. With patience and attention to creating an atmosphere of emotional safety, many people are willing to discuss matters of sexuality. The following list of questions might provide some healthy discussion regarding sexuality between a pastor and his staff:
- Do the members of our congregation have a healthy appreciation for sexuality as God designed it?
- If someone asks you a sexual question, how would you address it?
- Would you be willing to share ways you protect your sexual integrity?
- How do you feel about same-gender friendships where you can be held accountable regarding your sexual integrity?
- What would you like to see that would support sexual integrity among us as a pastoral ministry team?
- What would you like to see in our church that would support sexual integrity, sexual awareness, and sexual fulfillment?
Counseling Programs for Pastors
These ministries provide counseling for sexual issues for pastors and their wives.
Dr. Mark Laaser, Faithful and True Ministries, Eden Prairie, Minnesota. Website: www.faithfulandtrueministries.com
Robert Paul, National Institute of Marriage, Branson, Missouri. Website: www.nationalmarriage.com
Dr. Douglas Rosenau, Center for Sexual Wholeness, Atlanta, Georgia. Website: www.sexualwholeness.com
EMERGE Ministries, Akron, Ohio Website: www.emerge.org