SIDEBAR: Ministry to Gay-Parented Families: a Checklist for Pastors and Leaders
by Ginger Haan
- Approach gay-parented families with compassion, healing, and truth in the doses they can receive, just as Christ did.
- Assume homosexuals are always in our midst and avoid all homophobic speech, i.e. inappropriate remarks.
- Make sure you have policies and discipline in place to counter bullying.
- Be sensitive to your staff and volunteers by asking, “How’s it going? Are the children (of gay parents) integrating and connecting with the other children?”
- Dialogue as needed for sticky situations. Families may come to the pastor or associate for help. Lead in with questions.
- When preaching or teaching on a passage that mentions homosexuality, always speak the truth in love.